Where We Started
History is about the past. Yet, it exists only in the present. Our story demonstrates not only where we started, but it represents who we are today and where we will go in the future.
Oconee Federal’s roots grow deep within Southern soil, in that we were chartered by the State of South Carolina in February 1924 as Seneca Building and Loan Association.
In 1958, we became Oconee Savings and Loan Association when our first branch office was opened in Walhalla, South Carolina. Then in 1992, our Association was issued a federal charter, resulting in a name change to Oconee Federal Savings and Loan Association.
Continuing to grow, in 2011, Oconee Federal completed a mutual-to-stock conversion, creating Oconee Federal Financial Corp. and Oconee Federal, MHC. Oconee Federal Financial Corp. is a federally chartered corporation formed to be the mid-tier stock holding company for Oconee Federal. Meanwhile, Oconee Federal, MHC is a federally chartered mutual holding company formed to be the mutual holding company of Oconee Federal Financial Corp. Oconee Federal is a wholly owned subsidiary of Oconee Federal Financial Corp.
In 2014, Oconee Federal entered into a merger agreement with Stephens Federal Bank, a Toccoa, GA based mutual savings bank in business since 1933. The acquisition added Stephens Federal’s three offices in Toccoa and Clayton, Georgia to Oconee Federal’s four existing offices in South Carolina.
Who We Are Today
The addition of another full service office in Clemson, South Carolina came about in 2020, bringing nine locations for Oconee Federal within the upstate of South Carolina and Northeast Georgia. Our main office location is in Seneca, South Carolina. Each of our locations have ATMs onsite, as well as belonging to the Allpoint ATM network. Please see our locations page for a complete listing of our offices including address, phone number and directions.